A Church Facebook Page
Patience and prayer are always a good thing. Sometimes we might get a bit discouraged when we do not see the fruit of our labors. This weekend I was reminded that the Lord is working in hearts and drawing people to Himself. What we do for the cause of Christ is a part of His plan and the Lord uses those opportunities as He wishes.
Even before we moved to Vilhena we were praying that our paths would be directed to meet the right people at the right time. A few weeks after being here I started a Facebook page for the church. We have posted some devotional type materials on there as well as pictures of some of the events at church. We advertised just a bit in the community as well.
All the work and hours invested in the site have already paid off. We still look forward to what the Lord will do with it in the future.
About a week ago, we received a message from a young man who was looking for a job. He talked about coming to church, but did not know his way around the city. We communicated with him through messages several different times through the week. On Saturday we were able to make a visit with him. Sunday evening he came to church! He is very excited about participating in the church. We look forward to helping him settle the matter of his salvation and baptism as we have more opportunities to spend time with him.
Though I know we are just beginning to work with this young man, it is amazing to see God’s hand at work. I believe that God has been working in his family’s life for many years in order to bring him to our church. You may think that is a little far fetched, but let me explain.
- His grandparents moved to Brazil from Japan as children in the mid 1900s.
- Brazil is a very evangelical country. Some areas have much more of a Gospel presence than others.
- On his mother’s side of the family, his aunts and uncles all moved to Rondônia where we now live.
- He along with his immediate family lived about 1,250 miles south of Rondônia.
- Through some strange circumstances including weird dreams, he was directed to an evangelical church.
- Persecution from his Buddhist family made it very difficult for him to continue following the Lord and going to church.
- Due to his “conversion”, they had him put in a mental hospital.
- After a few years under this persecution, he decided to move up north to Rondônia to get away from it.
- He moved to Vilhena to live with an aunt and help take care of his family in the area.
- He was attending a Baptist church down south, so he searched for a Baptist church here in Vilhena. Our church was the first to show up in his search.
Now, that is just a quick version with the basic points that connected us. We could go on and explain how that God put in our heart to reach the world through Brazil. We have websites with Gospel materials in Japanese, yet God brought his family to Brazil where they learned the Portuguese language, then allowed him to come in contact with some Christians and begin seeking after Christ. Through persecution he is placed right here in our city and our church is the first he comes across.
I believe this is God’s work. He may be altering plans for hundreds of years in order for you to be in a specific place at a specific time. What an amazing God we serve! Just like he used Cesar Augustus to make a decree that every person in the world should be taxed so that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem, He also does the very same thing millions of times all over this world so that people can hear His Word. Open your eyes and see what God is doing!